We are just two days away from 2012. So in this special blog post iDubba brings you the 10 most popular shows/events of 2011. The ranking and popularity has been taken in consideration on the basis of activities done for these shows on iDubba in 2011.
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2011: There is definitely no surprise to see this event on top because 2011 as year is the biggest for India as we witnessed Indian team winning World Cup after 28 long years. Sports channels had the highest TRPS ever.
- MTV Roadies (Season 8): The longest running reality show with eight seasons in its kitty it is already in news for its ninth season starting next week. There has been a lot of speculation about the show being scripted but it still remains one of the most watched and favourite among the younger lot.
- Indian Premier League 2011: Another cricket event. So that makes the score 2 in total and that is definitely not astonishing in our country where second God is cricket despite being hockey as the national game.
- Splitsvilla (Season 4): Another reality show of MTV channel that targets youngsters. This reality show based on dating certainly knows how to turn heads. Bunch of hot girls and boys put together in a house to woo each other. What will you expect?
- Koffee with Karan (Season 3): This chat show is my personal favourite and the only chat show that I can sit and watch without getting impatient. This one undoubtedly has a fresh and witty appeal to it. The show began to air in 2004 and has been a huge success since then.
- Bade Achhe Laggte Hain: Produced under Ekta Kapoor’s banner of Balaji Telefilms, who is undoubtedly the queen of Indian soap operas, “Bade Ache Lagte hai” which was launched in second half of the year, has Saakshi Tanwar and Ram Kapoor in the main lead. This show has millions of viewers across the country glued to the shows.
- Bigg Boss (Season 5): Another controversial reality show that is in news always for wrong reasons but manages to gain one of the highest TRPs. It is full of masala and entertainment.
- Man vs. Wild (Season 3): Finally a documentary cum travel based show in the list . Discovery Channel’s Man vs. Wild is hugely popular especially because of its daring presenter Bear Grylls who is seen at ease at the worst places possible in the world.
- Taarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma: This sitcom is based on the column ‘Duniya Ne Undha Chasma’ (which loosely translates into “Seeing the world through upside-down glasses”) written by Indian columnist and journalist Taarak Mehta for the Gujarati weekly magazine Chitralekha. In August2010, it beat one of the top shows to become the most watched TV show in India.
- Kaun Banega Crorepati (Season 5): This game show has been a massive success since it was first launched on Star Plus in 2000. However Sony TV bought its rights from third season onwards and the recent season 5 that had its first ever contestant winning the prize money of 5 crore rupees.
Keep watching your favourite shows!
My heartbeat grew 5 times faster when I read this tweet from Sr Bachchan last night-
Earns a salary of Rs 6500/- walks out in an hour with 5 crore rupees…that is what KBC is all about… ‘aam se khas bana deta hai’. This man has displayed a brilliant play of wit and knowledge. We are still reeling with the effect of maximum win. It was an incredible event.
It is certainly unbelievable and implausible to see such a simple and common man to win an amount that can fulfill his lifetime wishes. Sushil Kumar is celebrating his best-ever Diwali this year as he became the first person to win the full prize money of 5 crore rupees in the game show “Kaun Banega Crorepati” . This common man proved that given an opportunity, everyone is capable of reaching the heights.
This episode which was shot yesterday in Mumbai will be aired on Sony TV on 2nd November. Sushil correctly answered the jackpot question asked by Amitabh Bachchan. Sushil Kumar is a 27-year old computer operator and a part time tutor in a village in Champaran district in Bihar.
Sushil and his wife were moved to tears when Sr Bachchan handed over the Rs 5 crore cheque to them. Sushil is registered for minimum wage MNREGA scheme in his village. He doesn’t own a TV at his home currently and used to watch KBC at his neighbour’s place. He recently got married and when asked that what he will do with his prize money, he was excited yet effortless to answer “He plans to buy a new house for his wife, buy himself an impressive library and provide financial help to his brothers.”
This man has set the inspiration for others too who have dreams to make big in their life. He has created history and proved that your determination can bring success in your life.
The entire set of KBC was extremely excited and joyful after Sushil’s win and got everyone in a jubilant mood.
Did you watch “Kaun Banega Crorepati” on Thursday that had Shahrukh Khan as celebrity guest? If the answer is no then you have saved 2 hours of your precious life with the overdose of Ra.One’s promotional marketing (SRK’s much hyped super hero flick).
It was genuinely an overkill of the hype that is generally created before the release of any film. SRK just couldn’t stop promoting the movie at every instance possible. The hilarious part is how even “computer ji” threw questions around the movie and SRK.
Some examples that i could recollect from my memory for you:
- The show apparently kicked off with Senior Bachchan congratulating SRK for his upcoming movie
- Senior Bachchan bragging all over about the movie and its budget, how it is one of the most expensive movies ever made in Indian film industry
- There was a question with answer as Kareena Kapoor (female lead of Ra.One) and that followed by calling her where she asked SRK to sing the famous song “chamak challo” of the same movie
- There was another question that had a line from the movie and answer with the name of a character from movie called “chitti” & Shahrukh was happy to answer and announce that he recently heard it on the sets
- There were 3 different questions which had answers related to India’s first F1 track that SRK recently inaugurated, Nokia for whom he is the brand ambassador and also the movie Asoka he did.
We have our doubts that these questions were a mere coincident or again well scripted promotional episode of Ra.One movie!!