We are just two days away from 2012. So in this special blog post iDubba brings you the 10 most popular shows/events of 2011. The ranking and popularity has been taken in consideration on the basis of activities done for these shows on iDubba in 2011.
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2011: There is definitely no surprise to see this event on top because 2011 as year is the biggest for India as we witnessed Indian team winning World Cup after 28 long years. Sports channels had the highest TRPS ever.
- MTV Roadies (Season 8): The longest running reality show with eight seasons in its kitty it is already in news for its ninth season starting next week. There has been a lot of speculation about the show being scripted but it still remains one of the most watched and favourite among the younger lot.
- Indian Premier League 2011: Another cricket event. So that makes the score 2 in total and that is definitely not astonishing in our country where second God is cricket despite being hockey as the national game.
- Splitsvilla (Season 4): Another reality show of MTV channel that targets youngsters. This reality show based on dating certainly knows how to turn heads. Bunch of hot girls and boys put together in a house to woo each other. What will you expect?
- Koffee with Karan (Season 3): This chat show is my personal favourite and the only chat show that I can sit and watch without getting impatient. This one undoubtedly has a fresh and witty appeal to it. The show began to air in 2004 and has been a huge success since then.
- Bade Achhe Laggte Hain: Produced under Ekta Kapoor’s banner of Balaji Telefilms, who is undoubtedly the queen of Indian soap operas, “Bade Ache Lagte hai” which was launched in second half of the year, has Saakshi Tanwar and Ram Kapoor in the main lead. This show has millions of viewers across the country glued to the shows.
- Bigg Boss (Season 5): Another controversial reality show that is in news always for wrong reasons but manages to gain one of the highest TRPs. It is full of masala and entertainment.
- Man vs. Wild (Season 3): Finally a documentary cum travel based show in the list . Discovery Channel’s Man vs. Wild is hugely popular especially because of its daring presenter Bear Grylls who is seen at ease at the worst places possible in the world.
- Taarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma: This sitcom is based on the column ‘Duniya Ne Undha Chasma’ (which loosely translates into “Seeing the world through upside-down glasses”) written by Indian columnist and journalist Taarak Mehta for the Gujarati weekly magazine Chitralekha. In August2010, it beat one of the top shows to become the most watched TV show in India.
- Kaun Banega Crorepati (Season 5): This game show has been a massive success since it was first launched on Star Plus in 2000. However Sony TV bought its rights from third season onwards and the recent season 5 that had its first ever contestant winning the prize money of 5 crore rupees.
Keep watching your favourite shows!